Should your business be on the web?
We at Your Go To Guy truly believe that your business should be on the web. Let’s see what others have to say.
6s marketing released an article (click here to view it) less than a year ago (at time of writing this post) about some really interesting Canadian internet usage statistics. I’m sure that I could safely put a bet that these numbers have grown since then.
A quote from the article “Canadian consumers are ahead of the game when it comes to digital – 80% of the population has internet access. More Canadians are embracing social media by using smartphones and watching videos online. The average Canadian consumer is plugged-in everywhere – while on the go, in the workplace, while watching TV, and while shopping. However, Canadian businesses are still lagging when it comes to eCommerce and mobile marketing. To engage with the ever-growing online population, businesses need to increase their online activity to capture this market.
It has been said that “mobile is the next big thing.” It’s not up and coming; it’s already here. Now businesses need to adapt and understand how to play the game – mobile advertising is worthwhile.” Here are some of the statistics:
- 27.4 million Canadians are online (that is 80% of the population!)
- 17.2 hours are spent on the internet a week
- 93% go online for product information
- 44% use online videos more than they did last year
- 25% would give up TV over their smartphone
- 64% have a profile on a social network
- 79% of Canadians don’t leave home without their mobile device
- 97% use their phone at home
- 83% use mobile on the go
- People are using their phones in businesses:
- 77% use mobile in stores
- 77% use mobile at the workplace
- 72% use mobile in restaurants
- 56% use mobile in airports
- 60-70% of Canadians are on a mobile device
- 80% are on a smartphone
- Smartphone searches to regular phone: 60:1
- 86% of smartphone users notice mobile ads
- 57% have performed a mobile search after seeing an ad. Compare to:
- TV: 49%
- Shop: 47%
- Magazine: 39%
- Billboard/poster: 32%
SEARCH AND SOCIAL
- 4.8 billion Canadian Google searches are performed each month
- 16% of daily searches have never been searched before
- 16.9 million Canadians are on social networks
- 32% increase in total minutes on social networking sites from 2010 to 2011
- Canada is leading on Google+ per capita
- 25 million people in Canada watch online videos every month
Your Go To Guy and 6SMarketing both agree on one thing. Social media isn’t disappearing any time soon. Neither is mobile or YouTube. Rather, all statistics signify these platforms will evolve into one of our biggest marketing spaces.
So where do you want to advertise? We can help.
If you have any comments or questions we would love to hear from you!